Disability Theory for Parents
Have you ever wondered why some people react differently to stories about disability? Ever heard the terms social or medical model of disability? Are you interested in disability in the media? If so, this course is for you. Participants will discuss some of the common themes of disability studies in a format designed for non-academic types.
- Medical and Social Models of Disability
- Disability in the Media
- Pity, Inspiration, and Other Themes in Disability
- Snyder, Sharon L. & Mitchell, David T. (2006) Cultural Locations of Disability. University Of Chicago Press
- Longmore, Paul K. (2003) Why I Burned My Book and Other Essays on Disability. Temple University Press
- McDonnell, Patrick. (2007) Disability and Society: Ideological and Historical Dimensions. Orpen Press